The Search Engine Optimization (SEO) gurus at AllOut Marketing are often asked about the best ways to optimize websites for search engines and increased traffic. So we’ve come up with a fundamental list of ways to ensure that targeted traffic flows in your direction.
- Beauty or brains? Many people determine the value of a website by its attractive, exciting features. Although these effects are visually appealing, many are powered by scripts that do not provide search engines with meaningful information. If you want more traffic, make your website smart before making it pretty by using text with keywords that your target audience would actually use in a search engine. Keyword experts can help confirm whether people really search for your keywords.
- Keywords – not just buzz words. Choose keywords that are specific to both your audience and your product offerings. Selecting keywords that are not related to your content or are not used by your audience will not help drive web visitors to your site.
- Location. Location. Location. Adding keywords to your content is crucial because Search Engines prefer content-rich sites. Your best bet is to write for the human visitor, using keywords without clouding your message or making your content unpleasant to read. Potential locations for keywords are in page titles, headings, menus, sitemaps, image alt tags, link titles, and body copy.
- Let’s not reinvent the wheel. Concentrate on optimizing your existing content. Identify and add keywords in your content and monitor whether they bring in the traffic you want. This is an inexpensive short-term solution until you can perform a full SEO analysis.
- Link to success. Requesting links from sites that are related to yours and whose visitors will be interested in your content is a good way to bring traffic in from another source. Each link also helps increase your site’s authority as perceived by search engines, improving your chances of being near the top of search results.
- Tricks are for kids. Don’t try to hide text or trick the search engines into ranking your website higher. These tactics may have worked at the dawn of Yahoo! and Google, but they won’t work with the super-sophisticated search engines that dominate the web today—and may even put your site in the penalty box.
- Time is money. Make time for SEO. Extra effort from the beginning will save you lots of legwork in the end. If you don’t have time to do this yourself, call on the SEOexperts. It will be well worth the investment.
Need help with web development or more tips for optimizing your site for search engines? Contact AllOut Marketing to tap into our wide range of expertise in medical device and healthcare marketing.